Quarries and Limekilns

Dorset Limekilns a first survey Peter H Stanier

Loders Lime Kilns

Bell Lime Kiln

Bell Limekiln 

Loders Limekilns 2020

Loders Limekilns 2020

A kiln is shown on the Tithe Map of 1846 pages 1-5 pg3

275 Combe Head Lime Kiln 


Marl Pits

Marl Pits are shown on the 1846 Tithe Map pages 21-25 pg1

Marl was used prior to lime for soil improvement. 

Quarries

Quarries shown on the Tithe Map 1846.  These are shown on the Apportionment by field number and name.

244 Quarry map pages 1-5 pg3

275 Combe Head (lime kiln) map pages 1-5 pg3

337 Quarry map pages 21-25 pg3

338 Quarry Mead map pages 21-25 pg3

357 Bell Quarry map pages 21-25 pg3

372 Great Quarry map pages 21-25 pg3

398 Quarry Lawns map pages 16-20 pg1

573a Parish Quarry - Loders Cross map pages 1-5 pg4

 

Follow this link for the Tithe Map and Apportionment

Tithe Map and Apportionment 1846 

Most of the quarries are in the Bell and Stoney Head areas and have inferior oolite.  This would have been used for road building and lesser quality buildings.  It was used later in the 19th century for lime burning.